Hotel in the Jura, near Salins-les-Bains and Dole
The hotel and restaurant Les Caudalies is ideally located in Arbois, the birthplace of Louis Pasteur, surrounded by vineyards and the stunning countryside of the Jura region.
The hotel and restaurant Les Caudalies is just 100 metres from The home of Louis Pasteur. We also recommend visits to The salt works in Salins-Les-Bains and to Arc-et-Senans, which are both Unesco Heritage Sites.
Explore the wine region and sample some of the local vintages. Arbois is an AOC wine (Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée), and its vineyards and wine cellars are a source of real pride in the region. The Jura’s vineyards are some of the oldest in France!
The Jura is home to 4 geographic Appelations d’Origine Contrôlées (Arbois, Château-Chalon, Etoile and Les Côtes du Jura) and 2 AOC products: Macvin du Jura, a sweet wine, and Crémant du Jura, a sparkling wine. Five grape varieties can be found in the Jura wine region: Savagnin and Chardonnay which are used to make white wine and Trousseau, Poulsard and Pinot Noir which are used for red wine.
Visits to caves:
- La Grotte des Moidons: these caves were discovered in 1966. With magnificent stalagmites, columns, sheets and countless stalactites, visits take roughly 55 minutes.
- La Grotte des Planches: within these caves lies the first active underground river in France. The Cuisance river has shaped the caves over the years to create a breathtaking sight.
Other nearby attractions:
- Acroroche (a tree-top adventure park)
- Bulle à parfums et jardin parfumé (a perfume shop and scented garden)
- La Ferme du Hérisson (a hedgehog farm)
- La Grotte d'Osselle
- La Maison du Comté
- Dino Zoo
- Prom Dresses
- Le Jardin Fantastique (a hedge maze and children’s play area)
- Parc Polaire (an interactive animal park)
- Pays du Revermont
Lakes and countryside
With cliffs stretching some 245 metres, the Jura region is a protected natural site and is also a Natura 2000 site. It’s home to incredible flora and fauna and breathtaking countryside.
It’s the ideal setting in which to enjoy hikes through the forest.
The Vouglans and Chalain lakes should also be explored: go hiking, take a dip or try other water sports.
Les Caudalies is in Arbois, in the heart of the Jura wine region between Besançon, Dole and Lons-Le-Saunier.
A39 motorway, exit for Poligny, then the N83 towards Besançon.
- Arbois station
- Mouchard station is 9 km away
- Poligny station is 11 km away